Friday 20 February 2015

Sentientist Diet

What can you eat on the sentientist diet? The sentientist diet doesn't differ greatly from the vegan diet. In my mind no food should be 100% off the menu. This doesn't mean that you can eat little bits of chicken. It means I think there might be situations where eating chicken isn't a bad thing or the worst option. An example being chicken that has been thrown away. Mainly though, the idea is you eat a vegan style diet and if you want you can eat bivalves like mussels, oysters and scallops. Some might argue bugs aren't sentient but I don't agree with this. I think they deserve the benefit of the doubt.

So the menu in my mind for anyone wanting to consume an ethical diet is as follows

  • Legumes (kidney beans, butter beans, navy beans, soy, lentils, chick peas)
  • Grains (wheat, rice, rye, oats, millet)
  • Fruits (bananas, oranges, apples, pears, pineapples etc)
  • Vegetables
  • Seeds (quinoa, sunflower, sesame, chia, flax, hemp)
  • Nuts (walnut, almond, pecan, pine)
  • Tubers (white potatoes, sweet potatoes)
  • Seaweed (kelp, nori, dulse)
  • Fungus/mushrooms
  • Bivalves (mussels, oysters, scallops, cockles, clams)
  • Thrown away animal products
  • Animals that have died of natural causes

1 comment:

  1. I love how you write, non-judgmental and kind. I have been vegan for about 20 years. My personal rule is "if it has a central nervous system and pain receptors I do not harm or eat its slaughtered body. Therefore, your list and mind have a bit of a difference in food choice. No animal products - either thrown away or having died of natural causes for this sentient-vegan. None. Otherwise, I really love your list early on. My big dream: to hug a cow! I'm making you smile, I hope. Bye. (C.K. Risk)

    ReplyDelete